Do you need individual health insurance? Florida residents who are not covered by an insurance plan through their work in Florida can buy individual health insurance (and even those who are covered by their group health insurance plan often purchase individual health insurance in FL if their employer does not pick up the full cost of the benefit for all family members – remember, individual health insurance in Florida is approximately half the cost of a similar group health insurance plan in FL).
If you are looking for FL individual health insurance, this article will provide you with some general information and money-saving tips.
Use our free quote finder at the top of the page to get started finding Florida health insurance now!
Individual Health Insurance: Florida Coverage Options
Choosing a PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) means that you can get the coverage you need at a lower cost. When you choose a PPO, you are not required to have a primary care doctor and you can consult with a specialist without a referral. If you choose to see a doctor who is not participating in the PPO network, then you will be charged a higher rate than if you see a member of the network.
The deductible on a PPO individual health insurance plan in FL can range from $500-$5,000. Copays (if you choose a copay plan) can range from $10 to $50 for things like Doctor office visits, labs, x-rays, and prescriptions.
Before you buy Florida individual health insurance, you need to make sure that you understand the limits of your coverage. It would be a shock to find out after receiving treatment that you thought you had coverage for that you need to pay for it yourself.
Individual Health Insurance Plans: Florida Based Recommendations
The language used in insurance policies can sometimes be confusing. Here are two items you need to clearly understand in order to choose the best plan for your needs:
Plan Lifetime Limits: This is the maximum amount your FL individual health insurance plan will pay out over your lifetime. Some plans cap out at $2 million. This may seem like a lot of coverage, but if you needed major surgery or had to hospitalized for a long time due to illness or an accident, you could reach your policy limits quickly. A better choice would be one that has a lifetime limit of between $3 and $5 million.
Per Illness Limitations: If a plan only pays a certain level of benefits per day for hospital care, stay away unless you are not able to arrange for any other type of coverage.
Individual Health Insurance: Florida Money Saving Tips
Buying FL individual health insurance can be an expensive proposition, but there are some ways that you can avoid paying more than you should to get this all-important coverage. Here are some tips to help you:
- Increase Your Deductible: When you increase your deductible, your premiums will drop. Add up the proposed monthly savings to see whether this plan will be to your benefit.
- Live A Healthy Lifestyle: If you are a smoker or overweight, you will be charged more for your individual health insurance. Florida residents are no exception to the rule. Lose weight if you need to and stop smoking right away. Ask your family doctor for suggestions to help you get on the right track.
- See Doctors And Get Hospital Care From Providers In Your Network: If your goal is to keep your FL individual health insurance costs down, then stay within your network. A stay at a non-member hospital will be pricey, so be sure to ask your insurance agent which local hospitals are part of the network.
- Buy A Separate Critical Illness Policy: This type of insurance pays cash to you if you are diagnosed with certain medical conditions. Depending on the policy, you will receive a payment if you have a heart attack or stroke, or are diagnosed with cancer. Once this policy is in place, you can increase the deductible on your FL individual health insurance.
- Talk To An Insurance Agent Who Represents Multiple Insurers: To get the best possible rates for your individual health insurance in Florida, it does pay to consider coverage from several providers. By shopping around and comparing rates and coverage options, you are taking steps to make sure you are making the right decision for yourself and your family.
Compare Florida Individual Health Insurance Quotes Now!
Are you looking for individual health insurance coverage in Florida?
Click on our free tool at the top of this page to get a quote comparison from top insurance companies!
Get started finding Florida health insurance now!